PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chris Darke to be re-elected!!! Vote
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2002, 07:39
next in line

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airrage,

We agree in that the rates of pay for BA pilots should move closer to those of BA's competitors, preferably US competitors and not Aerolineas Argentinas, also a competitor!

If I could just comment on one part of your message:

<<That change starts at the top-down since at the bottom of the rung(the local reps)do seem to be effective in covering the smaller local issues. >>

The bottom rung is not the local reps but the general members, ie, you and your chums. The 'top' - at least in the BA section - is the BACC. This body has to be absolutely CERTAIN that the BA piot community will go on strike if necessary before calling for a strike.

95% voting 'yes' is a huge number but the reps have to be absolutely sure that 95% will not turn up for work before embarking on action. Anyway, if I recall correctly, most of the objectives from the last ballot were met, including the introduction of FHR into EOG, about £10k extra for a 737 captain. No doubt you will find some items which were not introduced to your irritation but going on strike for the missing items needs 92% to feel the same way as you do!

Because I believe that the election of JF will cause harm to the professional standing of our Association - a General Secretary who knows b all about running a Union, and who doesn't stay for meetings - I regret that I will not be voting for him; in fact, I will vote for CD instead!