PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B76 Duchess spin testing
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 22:58
dash 27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gold Coast Based Instructor

Just to narrow this malpractice down, my initial twin rating was in a duchess, and Captain X, whilst doing assymetrics thought it essential to show me a assymetric VMCA departure example. Talk about negative training. I had no idea about twins other than the theory of VMCa. I had since become a trainer myself, and i would never, ever in a million years attempt such an advanced maneouver with an abinitio student To take the negativity to the next level, the same individual, who is known for his overanalness, and his enjoyment in breaking pilots souls bringing them to tears, (who know's now who it is??) once we recovered from the spin, surprise, surprise the engine wouldn't start. Not windmilling, or crank start. So in we come, still with the lambs wool seat cover still far sucked in my ass, for a real assymetric landing. THEN, the f#cker yells at me because I needed to turn right with the left buggered, and the right brake was a sponge and we had to stop to avoid the ditch. THEN, a series of 270 degree turns in front of the aeroclub demonstrated by the gods gift, only to nearly roll the tyres off the rim, THEN to have hangar 51 tow us to the parking area, where he DEBRIEF's me in the usual screeming match that he had become famous for. It was an absolute joke.

Why was i there in the first place. Well i heard of his antics (not the assymetric departure demo stupidity), its analness to master DME homing, and ARC's, and thought my career needed a reallign as i wanted to get an airline job some day.

And you know what, he did teach me a lot that day, OF WHAT NOT TO BECOME !!!!! Needing the tender hands of Chesty to bring me out of career intensive care courtesy of Captain X, i took the bob hoover demo throughout my career as a TALKING issue in training, and suggest that it might be more prudent in a SIM. The same guy still famour for his stupidity, and the authority still allowing him to have an ATO approval, tried to kill me again in a twin otter at the same airport by where the pair of them were attempting to teach each other the otter, but having an engine feathered, and attempting to go around with the good engine's prop still at cruise (simulating a heavy airplane). Heading for the trees, i stood up from row 1, (because with 4000 hours on Twin Otters on floats with training approval, I still needed to be shown how things were done in Oz) and stood up the prop lever, and surprise surprise it flew away. He then landed on 35 @ cooly assymetric (feathered), yet running, with 25 knots of cross wind from the dead engine side, and departed the runway with a wheel barrow, downwind wing inches off the ground almost landing departure. Back at the hangar I could get out of the aircraft fast enough. I was in my car out of the carpark before the props stopped turning in disgust.

I was confronted with a similar potential incident overseas when I did a check in an Twin Otter, with a low level go around, assymetric, and low speed below VMCa. I though to myself, how do i attract these people???, but I did with small amounts of good engine power drive it out, only to bring to the attention of the Checky what we had done to the oil temp on the good engine. Nothin like bringing in the buggered engine to cool by throttling back the good one. Having said that, i had good water below to land on, and height to make speed, but again, doable, but not recommended. Again rogue practices, extreme training or negative training to the wrong person, or even suicidal in its delivery. Yes you shouldn't be in the situation, but when you don't know better, and its all new uncharted waters, only hindsite can say, GEE you shouldn't have done that. So people, choose your checkys. Some are friggen CRAZY!!!!

Be safe out there.