PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas and RAAF pool pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 06:15
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pay RAAF pilots a bit more - retention SOLVED
Can't say I agree with that. Nice as it would be, I'm sure, for the average Service pilot to get more money, the real problem with the RAAF for most people who want to fly aeroplanes rather than be career military officers is the long standing policy of moving people on after a three year posting, all too often into a ground job.

Even if the average squadron pilot could be assured of flying postings for his whole career, (he can't be), in my day, (I'm sure someone will tell us all if it has changed), that career ends at 45 for a GD Flt Lt and 47 for a GD Sqn Ldr, a bit early for the average man/woman with a family to support.

An SD Aircrew mustering, (as was [is??] used by the RAF) has been suggested to the powers that be in Canberra every year or two and to date, it has never even looked like being approved. (I accept that the reasons they give against the idea have some validity in such a small force as the RAAF: SD aircrew filling half the slots on active squadrons would mean even fewer slots on flying squadrons for GD pilots shinnying up the greasy pole.)

In one of the (predictable) replies to my earlier post, I was reminded of the currently running "Flight Attendant Demoted to First Officer" thread, where the respondent quickly remined me (not incorrectly) how incredibly more experienced the average Qantas FO is than most RAAF VIP pilots.

However, I feel that most if not all pilots who've not flown in the military environment have no idea of the many facets of an average day's operation a Service pilot deals with that even the most experienced civil pilot will never see - even in the more prosiac operations like Transport and Refuelling squadrons.

I mentioned above that I thought that maybe the VIP operation could be handled by civil pilots. I'd have to say that on second thought, I'm not so sure I was right. But perhaps I'm selling the average domestic QF 737 pilot short. Maybe the average Qandom pilot feels he'd have no problem at all being called out to take the PM to JFK, Mosow, Kandahar or pick your exotic airport.

Pieceufpiss, innit?