PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lankan Air Lines Instructors
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 10:27
tropaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE...Coolguy

Well said newagebird in regards to Coolguys comments!

I remember a few months ago around May, in the last intake Coolguy made similar scurrilous comments here regarding his opinions of "disloyal and unpatriotic" Sri Lankans who leave the country for greener pastures before his comments were deleted from the thread.

He has no real idea how tough life can be abroad for expats and what people have to go through to get to where they want to get to. It is certainly not a bed of roses, easy loans etc. His comments are born more out of professional jealousy and a lack of confidence in his ability to gain employment with UL. Being one of a handful of CPL holders in Sri Lanka and being born in Sri Lanka should not be an automatic right to gaining employment within the UL regardless of who you are, as it should really be about your attitude as an individual and your capabilities as a pilot. As I understand it, with UL they only select the best possible candidates based upon aptitude, experience and above all the correct attitude. At times the limited number of appropriately qualified local pilots has led the airline to employ more experienced expats for more experienced positions. This is normal. This is also the case with some of the biggest airlines and in a sense the system used at UL is no different to the systems employed at Cathy, SIA, Qantas or BA. It appears as though Coolguy lacks any of these a fore mentioned attributes and is just prepared to knock down those who have been lucky enough to get in.

It is pointless debating your stance on such matters here as your opinions are probably based out of frustration and jealousy and a lack of understanding of the real world and as such your arguments lack any real focus, and as a result Malli are meaningless. You claim that any Lankan born abroad is less of a Lankan than you, when we are as loyal and as patriotic to the nation and the many things that it stands for and fights for. We may grow up as Ozzies, Canadian, American or Brits but we regard ourselves as being Sri lanakans first and foremost and we would like to see nothing better than OUR nation maximize its full potential and its people do well. Most of us are born speaking the language and have strong ties with Sri Lanka having spent our formative lives there, and as a result our first thought is always Sri Lanka (this is closely followed by Ammas bath and parippu!!).

What you also fail to understand about those who left Sri Lanka in the 70's/80's is that they left because they wanted to gain experience and return their again one day when the political or economic situation improved. This is the case with people from many backgrounds from the most brilliant minds in any given professional field (engineering,law, banking, medicine, etc) or to a laborer in the Middle East. In order for any nation to develop its skills it may at some point it may have to gain knowledge and experience from other regions especially if a country does not have opportunities or jobs in this area. This was the case in the Middle East when they discovered oil and in India with the recent economic boom. these people are known as economic migrants and will mostly return home one day.

You should also be grateful that anybody who is coming to work in Sri Lanka will be a tax payer (just like you) and will enhance the country and economy. We do not come as leeches or opportunists because we cannot find work elsewhere as for most of us it is a choice and something we want to do.

You are also a huge fraud and a hypocrite and you claim that any Lankan who leaves Sri Lanka is less loyal to the country;

"because they dont need SRILANKA"

when you yourself in previous posts made on Pprune have enquired into the possibility of employment with other airlines abroad.

http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-...ml#post1984464

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/18...ml#post2150653

It even seems that you have even dreamed of selling your soul to EK!

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/19...ml#post2136372

So what does this make you ...? Are you as bad as me or am I only as good as you? How are you any different to any other appropriately qualified individual looking for work or are you yourself a disloyal Lankan as any expat Lankan living abroad? Judging by your previous posts you yourself would jump at the chance at leaving Lanka if BA, Cathy or SIA came knocking so malli please do not be so quick to judge others.

Also you assume that we do not pay tax in Lanka or we do not contribute in any way when most families have investments, businesses and property back home and have funded or contribute heavily to the education and well being of our families. This is primarily with the intention and commitment of developing our country through our own social and familial responsibilities. This is something that you may or may have not benefited from personally via an Auntie or an Uncle at some point. Do you mention to them that they are some sort economic traitor or disloyal Lankan when you see them or do you say thank Auntie for the gifts?

Further globalisation will lead to the world becoming an even smaller place and although I understand that you may be frustrated and that any country should look after its own, it is pointless telling everybody that you are more Sri Lankan than the next person as you come across like some sort of ignorant goddeya. You should also understand that you comments are embarrassing and somewhat off point and you do not really give a good impression of the airline and its nations people to any foreigner reading these posts who is looking to come to Sri Lanka as you come across as nothing more than a little insular. This is when most Lankans living abroad have the ability to communicate and mix well in in most diverse communities around the world.

What I suggest is that instead of hating, bitching and moaning about the lack of opportunities and "foreigners coming over here to take our jobs" you should concentrate on getting the appropriate qualifications and working hard on your application. After all anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I am guessing that even if you had the the appropriate qualifications you would probably moan about exam papers and applicants being preselected based upon who they know etc. There are many well connected people who have applied in the past and failed, so stop moaning and get on with it. To suggest this is to say that most of the pilot fraternity at UL are not appropriately qualified and is offensive when some of the pilots are as good if not better than most and can hold their own in any airline. Many of whom move onto other airlines and fly the flag there.( I refer you to the two Lankan EK pilots who took delivery of one of the first A380’s) Stop being hung up on the many things that you can't control and don't know and concentrate on what you can do and can affect which will only ultimately be yourself. Even the ex air force guys with turbine time can get a job in another airline and gain experience as most pilots around the worlds tend to do.

(Newagebird I don't know you but I know that you must be laughing at the this right now give the crap and racism that any "foreigner" has to go through from time to time in our adopted birth places!)

Sorry for the rant but some things need to be said.

Best of luck and safe landings to all.

My work is done here.

Last edited by tropaco; 30th Nov 2008 at 11:32.