PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2008, 14:00
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My misgivings were always related to the concept that you make a demand, and rather than being electrically/mechanically transmitted directly to the control surface, it instead passed through microprocessors which then interpreted what you wanted and moved the surface accordingly( my somewhat simplistic thinking being that if the computer can stop you doing the wrong thing/or too much, it can also prevent you doing the right thing or do more/less than you wished / intended. . as I said luddite thinking on my behalf.) So, I guess my misgivings are through passing by an interpreter rather than mechanically OR electrically moving the bit I want as much or as little as I want. Obviously the advantage of not being able to do so is that you can't whack the fin off a la the A300 with the heavy footed guys a few years back, the disadvantages ? ? well, time will tell but the recent Qantas "upset" comes to mind, and who knows what has befallen this aircraft. Could of course have been some purely mechanical failure that would have been equally applicable to a B732(Jurassic) but my gut feeling thinks not. Finally, I know as much or as little as the rest of you , and I guess this accident is no stranger than the 737's that rolled over on their backs and ploughed in due uncommanded rudder hardovers . . . so far.
Edited to say, having flown the DC9 I fully understand the meaning of "DC" and it's limitations to bigger ships, even if that one handled like a dream.