PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas and RAAF pool pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2008, 00:01
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg, yes it looks simple as a proposal, but it goes way further than utilizing reservists like the practice done in the USA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but US reservists allocate a few weeks every year to USAF Reserve duty, and when called upon, must be made available. The US government keeps at an arms length from the airlines and their operations. This Australian proposal appears (and I stress "appears") to be a lot more in-depth and seems to be a joint utilization more for convenience than national defence. "Sharing" of pilots means the government will be in the aviation business, and the airlines will be in the military business, whether intending to be or not.

Yes, an initiative to get/retain more pilots into the military and the commercial arenas would be smart, but the proposed solution, as reported, is IMHO, the wrong solution. Join the RAAF and get a job with Qantas! It means the airlines have a vested interest in the military/government and vice versa; moreso than if the pilots are in the Reserves and called up for wartime duty. This proposal appears to apply even during peacetime.

The solution to the shortage of pilots has been discussed at length by PPRuNe contributors, especially WRT to Rex and their woes. And as for the RAAF...they've purchased everything hi-tech except an image that encourages recruits and personnel retention. Blame a culture of indiscriminate cost-cutting in part, and little consideration for the lives of the people being affected.

Last edited by Lodown; 29th Nov 2008 at 00:12.