PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Only Captains handle throttles during T/O??
Old 28th Nov 2008, 04:39
AKAFresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Captains handle throttles during T/O??

Hey all,

Iv noticed that some airline SOPs state that the Captain handles the throttles on takeoff in both PF and PNF roles, some examples being Singapore Airlines (B777 fleet), Lufthansa (A340 & B747-4 fleet), LTU (A330 fleet). There maybe more fleets within these airlines where this SOP is used but iv only noted these so far.

I appreciate that these are large widebody jets but surely the FO (First Officer) can set the T/O power and then the Captain can replace the FOs hand during the takeoff roll incase of a RTO, giving him the ultimate decision whether to reject or not.

Bearing in mind that the old days of actually setting the power was done manually against analog gauges I can understand why it would be best if the PNF sets the power while the PF concentrates on keeping directional control. However with all the automatics these days the computers set the final power setting against what was programmed into the FMS be it flex (de-rate) or full power. So nowadays it simply means you just place the throttles into the 'detent' for Airbus or Boeing press the TOGA switches on the throttles once you stabilise the engines. Both systems automatically sets the required EPR or N1%. PNF can then confirm that T/O power is set as usual.

I guess deep down it boils down to this; with all the automation that dominates our jobs as pilots it would be nice if given the things that we can do, we as FOs can actually operate. I would be interested to know the views from FOs, does it bother you or could you simply not care as long as the T/O power is set?! Also do some Captains allow you to set the T/O power despite the SOP?

Considering that getting a command on a widebody jet will take some years thats not much action for your left hand with those throttles! Mind you siting on the left seat you still wont get anymore apart from taxing, but you know what I'm getting at! Now go easy on that comment before we get the now all too common pprune bashing for the first 2 pages of the thread before a serious comment related to the original Q is posted... relax its just a forum!

Take for example the PF and PNF roles regarding taxi, some airlines allow their FOs to taxi the aircraft (given that the aircraft they order are supplied with tillers on the right) if they are PF with the possible exception of parking on stand. I find that a very positive move, after all your molding them to be Captains one day.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

AkA.