PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 26th Nov 2008, 20:21
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 208 Likes on 75 Posts
The usual suspects who whine about cut n' paste always ignore the posts where primary and secondary data are posted but what the hell:

Thats is a cliff that just got fell off.

Here's why it matters;

The Baltic Dry Index is a daily average of prices to ship raw materials. It represents the cost paid by an end user to have a shipping company transport raw materials across seas on the Baltic Exchange, the global marketplace for brokering shipping contracts. The Baltic Exchange is similar to the New York Merc in that it is a medium for buyers and sellers of contracts and forward agreements (futures) for delivery of dry bulk cargo.

The Baltic is owned and operated by the member buyers and sellers. The exchange maintains prices on several routes for different cargoes and then publishes its own index, the BDI, as a summary of the entire dry bulk shipping market. This index can be used as an overall economic indicator as it shows where end prices are heading for items that use the raw materials that are shipped in dry bulk.

The BDI is one of the purest leading indicators of economic activity. It measures the demand to move raw materials and precursors to production, as well as the supply of ships available to move this cargo. Consumer spending and other economic indicators are backward looking, meaning they examine what has already occurred. The BDI offers a real time glimpse at global raw material and infrastructure demand.

Unlike stock and commodities markets, the Baltic Dry Index is totally devoid of speculative players. The trading is limited only to the member companies, and the only relevant parties securing contracts are those who have actual cargo to move and those who have the ships to move it.

Things are happening now which haven't happened for 50+ years. Pilots will be flipping burgers by next Christmas. I have retained pretty good burger flipping skills thankfully.

Unemployment at 3 million is a certainty. Its whether we breach 4 million which interests me. I give it a 50:50 chance.

Protect yourself.