PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of JAA PPL's in the U.S. A ???
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2002, 08:51
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 227 Likes on 88 Posts
Talking

Chuck: exam of which seven were on determining time and distance by using time and bearing changes with an ADF.

Chuck, I have on many occassions whilst working as a PPL instructor had to rely on single indication NDB navigation using a manually set OBS. There are plenty of aircraft out there without VOR DME fit and plenty of airfields and areas without VOR or radar coverage in the the UK. Just like I had to use the speechless procedure for real once - now sadly no longer part of the syllabus under JAA. As for dropping the requirement to learn Morse code at the CPL/ATPL level - lunacy! But this digresses us.

-------

notice - stop throwing insults please. I have argued my views and you are welcome to disagree with them. But that is all.

Those 4 schools that you list take at a rough guestimate something like 15,000 flying hours out of UK flying schools.Thats about 20 flying instructors livelihoods a year.

I did indeed reply to each of the points you raised in your last post. You've deleted them which is your choice.

My point about Portugal was I feel a valid one.

With BAE being the only school to have moved from one JAA state to another I think we need to give things time to adjust in JAA land. What I would like to see is - say Portugal - decide to encourage flight training within its borders. They could drop local tax on vocational training (no VAT on flying lessons) reduce their already lower petrol taxes, exploit their favourable climate, their underused airspace, their cheap labour and building costs. There is no reason why Portugal should not become the Florida of European aviation.

I would have no problem with any of that. They could easily be as cheap as the USA and just as popular. This being the case then any flying instructor from any JAA member state could permanently and easily relocate to Portugal - our new focus of flight training. That might mean things get even harder for UK flight schools. Well thats competition for you. Thats choice.

What is unfair is for a country outside of out trading agreements to come in and poach our customers whilst denying us the right to relocate there. Whilst Florida exists there is no viable chance for the Portugese Ministry of Enterprise to make the case for becoming the flight training hub of JAA land.

notice - can you please give us your thoughts about the Kiddlington OATS flying instructors currently under notice of redundancy and OATS proposed move to Tyler in the USA? To me it looks like American flying instructors 1, British flying instructors 0.