PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 747's damaged at Avalon . . .
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 15:41
NZ1009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Framer

>NZ1009, sounds like you are looking really really hard to find a negative view
>of this....total of two posts...pretty much zero knowledge of
>operations.......not a journo are you?
> If not I apologize for the inference and welcome to PPRuNe,

Not trying hard at all with just two posts - was going to do a third one along the lines of:

So some tech crew configure the flaps/slats while the ground engineer is still connected, I guess in the expectation they will receive some comment if there is a problem. But we are told by 'ampclamp' "but there is no specific instruction to check for this.Tech crew just look at the lights." which is apparently okay because, as 'ampclamp' states, "Its an unusual event in any case ." (for things to go wrong). As for the tech crew just looking at the lights, that is also okay because, as stated by 'the rim', "get real if its not right the flt deck indications will tell them" but, of course, the flight deck indications didnt tell them in this case.

Talk about left hand / right hand and blind faith in electronics / computers!

Thanks for both the apology and welcome. Not really sure why the rest is relevant but you did ask and if I don't respond I will be branded as a journo.

>how long have you been interested in aviation?

Since I was about 10 years old I guess. Did get accepted into the RNZAF as a pilot trainee but a small medical condition they later uncovered put paid to that (my PPrune nick-name is the serial number of an RNZAF Harvard training aircraft inspired by a rather neat photo that came out when I was a kid).

>What sort of licence do you have?

Just a PPL, most SE ratings, about 300 (big deal, I know) hours or so in C152 - C210 plus some gliding time plus lots of real flight time as a sky-diver.

>Do you aspire to the airlines or have you just become interested in this
>push-back because it caught your eye?

No, never did aspire to join the airlines. An academic in an Australian University in the computing area, currently on sabbatical in the Northern Hemisphere (which is why I post in the middle of the night - so no, not a journo creating the morning edition).

I guess I am interested in this because, as far as I know, larger aircraft will be lucky to get of the ground if there is a significant problem with the flaps/slats and this will not become apparent until they are at high speed near the end of the runway. Most other flight safety components are inspected in their take-off configuration so was just wondering about the checking procedure for this rather significant item. Cant say the overall picture from the responses fills me with much confidence. I guess configuring for landing is different as there is a lot more time available to diagnose a problem and maybe you can still land with flaps/slats retracted(?)

Have sent my details by PM so you can check me out on the Internet using Google if you like. It will confirm that I really am just SLF with a little interest in my own self preservation.