PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2008, 12:02
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amex you make a point that

(Light turbo prop operators tend to be a bit "flexible" with SOPs, EU OPS)
I can assure you that where I work I do not flex anything with regard to Sop's or EU OPS or flight safety! What a statement.

I couldn’t disagree more. I have many friends in big airlines and I assure you that they have many bloopers with regard to Sop's, Ops, basic airmanship. A big airline, with big jets is no more professional than a smaller airline with TP's, come on. Where is your evidence?
You will excuse me but I do not need to provide any evidence (We are not on judge Judy) but I just have to see what I see during sim rides and interviews to see what type pilots tend to struggle more. I have not said that you for exemple will fail. I am saying that the environment some of us fly in (read how SOP minded is your company, safety culture etc... All the subtle things other than stick and rudder), will make succeeding at an interview, a strong possibilty or not. I stand by my statement that Light Turbo Prop operators ( I have worked for enough of these guys) tend to be more flexible. Read again if you need to but "tend" does not mean they all do. Just like small GA departments tend to have little or no SOPs worth mentioning and some operators we know operating large gear, are just as bad.
If I have to name one airline I think that tends to deliver good quality pilots, I would that say that Easyjet (note that I ve never worked for them and have no interest in LoCos) seems to have guys who operates along the same good standards. You fly with one or the other of their guys only to see there is very little difference on how they run the flight, manage under pressure or decide to go for whatever option they see as better. Yet some of them aren't as good but overall, they "tend" to display some very good qualities.
I see guys with all sorts of background coming through and never assume one thing or another but I am perfectly allowed to observe trends or even to be pleasantly surprised (and believe me, I like when people do a good job. Makes me impatient to work with them).

So if your company has a strong SOP culture all the good things then do not assume either that all similar operators do. It is a big world out there and you would be amazed at what goes on. I know we all are when we see it. It is a very good thing for you and your future and like you said, you should always aim for that. Again you know that, I know that but for many it takes some time to realise and apply this philosophy.

On a slightly different note (and like you thought my comment was aimed at you personally), you may take the following point for you.
- I see somebody who has high standards a bit like one of the TV preachers ... You should spread the good word, show others the light and make yourself the messiah of the "highest standards" of all, and inspire others to follow your example. Super Ted, if you are good then try to do what it takes to inspire others to be the same... If you do, I promise you that if I see you in the sim, you will have me delighted.

I rest my case your honour.