PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One year of the new Government
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2008, 06:10
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand this study has now been completed. Can you advise when it will be released?

I point out that other modern aviation countries of similar geographic size to Australia (namely, the United States and Canada) have a separate Flight Service/Flightwatch system. I believe Australia is a wealthy country and we can afford to have the same.

When weather conditions are good (which they tend to have been in the last couple of years) there is less need for a separate Flightwatch. However once conditions turn again, there will be a safety need for this. If it has been dismantled there could be real problems.
Sorry Dick, but I don't know how to do that snazzy highlight thing.

Isn't this at odds with what you did as CAA boss? We couldn't afford it, so we had to can it.

I'm just having problems getting my head around what your position actually is. Maybe I'd support your position, but I just don't see a consistent line. On the one hand, we get rid of Flight Service and, on the other hand, it's best practice in other advanced aviation countries.

I think a reply on this point would really serve to clarify where you are coming from for a lot of us.