PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - postings about accidents
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 10:24
collectivefriction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be tiresome to you but a lot of us, as shown in the posts on this thread find value in it.

As to professionalism

The AAIB and the discussions on this forum serve two different ends.

The AAIB want to determine the probable cause.

The different posters want to discuss possibilities rather than probabilities and are quite happy to to speculate as to things that may have cause an incident irrespective of whether there is any supporting evidence.

It's basic human nature, it's what makes us look at something and say "I can do better than that", it's curiosity, it's why we say why?, and I believe it's part of what makes us better pilots.

Whenever I screw up when flying I spend the next few days/weeks running through the events that led up to my cockup working out what went wrong and what I can do to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Occasionally I read something on here (irrespective of whether it is relevant to the incident being discussed) that sparks a similar train of thought - and that might possibly save my life one day.

If we stop discussing these things or posters start making all their comments nice and fluffy because it might offend someone who might read it - then we have lost a valuable resource.

Last edited by collectivefriction; 22nd Nov 2008 at 10:53.