PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 05:59
Juliet-Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah waiterpilot. I used to work a regular 8 to 5 job as an engineer, and as soon as I got my comm I hitched a ride from SA, in an Islander, over to Maun. I stayed with the mate who flew the Islander, with hardly any money, and literally living on the bones of my @rse.
I was lucky to get a job with Safari Air about a week after arriving, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!
The flying was magic (low level flying over game infested waterland), there were always other pilots to share a few beers with at the old Duck Inn and plenty of expat women as well.

My alias is named after the 206 I flew there - A2-AJE. RT is also a bit different in the delta. Normally just the last 2 letters are used. Got about 1700 hrs on that machine, after arriving with a little over 200.

I didn't spend all 6 years in Maun. 2 years in Maun then 4 years in Gabs, flying King Airs. Look, the novelty of Maun eventually wears off and the desire to further your career also sets in, but now I fly for a major airline and there's certainly a lot of nostalgia!

Enjoy your time there, because one day, when you're sitting in an A330 at 41000 ft you're going to think back to the time you had in Maun.
Those 2 years pass by in the blink of an eye.

Cheers

JE