PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2008, 15:10
super ted123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This post makes interesting reading.

Amex you make a point that

(Light turbo prop operators tend to be a bit "flexible" with SOPs, EU OPS)
I can assure you that where I work I do not flex anything with regard to Sop's or EU OPS or flight safety! What a statement.

I couldn’t disagree more. I have many friends in big airlines and I assure you that they have many bloopers with regard to Sop's, Ops, basic airmanship. A big airline, with big jets is no more professional than a smaller airline with TP's, come on. Where is your evidence?

Alas, Pprune is not what it was.

I can assure you that all of the guys that have moved on from my work have been very successful in there 'big companies' and the flying on TP's has prepared them very well. One thing is that all these guys can actually fly an aircraft. There’s a skill an FI, TP or taxi pilot has that guys with just 200-250 hours just hasn’t had the time to develop yet.

It has been noted by various training departments how good the handling skills of the guys that left were.

Sop's are Sop's, its not rocket science. You make the effort, you learn them, practice in the sim and line training and when you are deemed safe, you are let loose.

I have flown with ex single pilot guys and never had a problem.

Its very difficult to get a job at the moment and while I agree you don’t want to do any one thing for to long, if your flying, your flying and at the moment that is a result.

All the best to those trying to get a job.

There is a lot of good advice on here and getting a position at a company that looks like it may hire in the near future doing something other than flying is a very good idea. It has worked for friends of mine.

Best of luck and keep going.

If you have the licence you have come to far to give up.