PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A handy hole in the cloud?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 16:55
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I just add a caution to only do that if the cloud is well broken or if overcast only if you know your destination is clear and forecast to stay that way as well as an alternative and you are dead sure things will stay that way!
Certainly. One needs to be pretty clever about the weather data.

But it works. Typically, the way this works is like this:

You depart from mucky UK weather, climb on top, fly at FL060/070/080/090 to say France or Spain, and halfway down France the muck disappears, and you land in good VFR conditions. To be legal, you merely need to be out of IMC by the time you cross the UK FIR boundary.

Coming back, you work the reverse. Depart the south in nice VFR, and land in the UK using the IMCR privileges.

When I used to fly VFR-only, I did this many times. I know one must not be flippant about weather but this technique really does work. Obviously there are times when the whole of Europe is barely flyable with anything less than a jet, but taking typical GA-long-distance-flyable conditions (basically an absence of fronts along the route) a UK departure in say OVC008, a climb to sunshine at FL050, then gradually climbing over France to somewhere below their general Class D base (FL110), it is not hard to pick a day when a long trip can be done this way. In fact it became a bit of a joke that one would depart some place like Cannes or even La Rochelle in sunshine, and hit a solid wall of IMC bang in the middle of the Channel

In the absence of fronts, conditions like OVC008 are usually companied by tops not much higher than 2000-4000ft, and since the airspace over the Channel has a base of FL055/065/075 in most places, one would be in the sunshine long before leaving UK airspace.

Under a warm front you could have OVC005 and tops at FL250, but I did say "no fronts"

It's a wider subject - the weather - because the PPL training tends to not teach much about it. The whole subject has changed since "the internet" and the data sources modern pilots use are far away from what is being pushed in the official training books and syllabus.