PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A handy hole in the cloud?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 16:09
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously this requires radio navigation, which is not adequately taught in the PPL, but if you have the IMCR then you should have no problems. In reality people just use a GPS, for all sorts of reasons.

May I just add a caution to only do that if the cloud is well broken or if overcast only if you know your destination is clear and forecast to stay that way as well as an alternative and you are dead sure things will stay that way!

Just using a GPS is ok for the non instrument trained pilot but you still have to get down the other end and there is nothing worse than finding the whole lot has closed up on you the other end.

I was flying a twin at Pontoise a few weeks ago in beautiful weather checked the weather at Le Havre my next port of call and happily set off VFR. Half way along the route I was forced up over a 400 foot cloudbase and then had to change to an IFR clearance as the weather at Le Havre was now O/C at 500 feet and 2000 metres in drizzle. A front had moved quicker and further south than forecast so beware.

When I requested the IFR clearance the french asked me to confirm that my aircraft was IFR capable and that I had an IR. I did but god help the basic PPL in that situation and it does happen even with the best of forecasts.

Pace