PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quantas jobs for UK pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 11:33
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Its about economy not xenophobia

Xenophobia is an intense dislike and/or fear of people from other countries.

......you might then want to retract the following from your previous post

Trimmed flaps
maybe you want to open your mind and perhaps your eyes. I do not in any way advocate racism, xenophobia or anything of that ilk you are waaay off mark if you think that.

I mean exactly what I said. British born applicants with British passports implies nothing other than the fact that they are British not any race, colour or creed. I have much family and friends who are Canadian, US citizens and South African or Australian and would rather see them unemployed in UK and a British pilot I have never met employed as this is what is best for our economy.

I think that we should do as every other country willingly does in Europe if not in the world and employ our own pilots first. Why?

If you can buy a British product that is as good you should buy that, if you can use a British service industry over a foreign one you should BUT only if it is at least the same standard. If the British industry cannot come up with a suitable good then you should buy the import.

Why because the revenue stays in our economy, employs our workers. This means that we have more employment, more employment = more tax raised = stronger economy = more investment & more exporting thus creating an even stronger economy etc. You are investing in your country so that British businessess can pay more than competitor countries thus keeping our talent who can be suitably rewarded.

I drive a German car, use Microsoft software and own a Finnish mobile phone why because I cannot get better value for money and longevity for THAT product.

If the British government had more tax raised and spent more on our schools and university then our workers would be better qualified. If they were better qualified then they would make them more attractive to young talented Brits
this would lead to innovation and better products. Better products = increased revenue which means companies can invest more on R&D and attracting and retaining the top talent. This means even better products and the cycle goes on. perhaps if this was the case I would have a suitable British choice but to be honest we don't which is why Nokia and Sony are up there in the market.

All in all it means that our children will have better opportunity in a nice strong market economy rather than having to go and work for German or US firms because British firms do not pay enough or do not have the money to invest in innovation.

Training a national from another country to go back to their own country and make their economy stronger is not investing in the future of British aviation.

This is not xenophobia if we are to become the United States of Europe with a completely free economy and employment then this is fine with me but that should mean that I have as much chance of getting into Lufthansa, KLM or Air France as I have of getting British Airways. Condor and Thomas Cook should see me as exactly the same product. I think we know that the market (languages aside) does not work that way elsewhere and until it does we should protect our own economy first by employing British pilots first and other nation pilots 2nd.

This is not about hatred or fear this is purely about the future of our countries industry.