PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 747's damaged at Avalon . . .
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 02:56
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
FD, I'd ignore the source of your info. There was a delay in getting hangar space from Lufthansa Technic but when it was taken into the hangar, a large part of the work was done by Qantas engineers, with the main structural work done by Boeing engineers. The following was posted on Qrewroom by the Captain who experienced the incident (and as Keg said, also flew it to Avalon along with the F/O):-
I had a look at the outside last night. Really quite an amazing sight. No skin repairs at all (i.e. panels and doublers); they've used new panels. The sections that have been replaced are huge, extending many feet forward and aft of the damage.

Two complete frames were replaced, and a number of stringers. These weren't spliced/repaired, but replaced at the normal manufacturing junctions. The R2 door was replaced. I can't imagine how complex the work on the wiring and cable runs must have been.

I haven't been inside yet, we'll have a look there later today after the test flight. Apparently seating etc that was removed has been packaged up and is in the hold, and that's why it's going to Avalon.