PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hopeless cases
Thread: hopeless cases
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 17:10
George Semel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I been flying for a lot of years, almost 34 years now. And I started out as a flight instructor, and I still teach on my off days. I seen a lot of different students over the years, and I gotten quite a few from others that thought were more or less didn't have "The Right Stuff". Its BS, anybody can learn to fly its not hard, most student problems, are instructor problems. Poor instruction is the problem. I do it a little different than most. When a student is having a problem and not progressing at a reasonable pace, I change things a little, Go fly someplace for lunch, and as he or she masters a skill, I will have that student teach me that skill as if I was a student and he/she is a flight instructor. The Funny thing is that it works. Teaching somebody to do something teaches you to do it better. I had a student once that could taxi an airplane pretty good but had problems with the radio, was just afraid to talk on the dam thing, so one day I told him that its going to be a ground lesson and you are going to teach me how to talk on the radio. It worked well enough for him to get passed that hurtle. He was just a little nerved up about the whole thing and by having him just talk, got him over it. Flies an RJ now. yea he needed extra dual thru the whole program, everybody is different and you have to be able to change your approach for each student.