PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 13th Month
Thread: 13th Month
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 10:12
Azamat Bagatov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ex-Gratia...

Okay,
So we're receiving some form of recognition for our hard work..blah,blah,blah..but as an "ex-gratia"...
To those who are wondering, what does ex-gratia actually mean ???

Wikipedia states the following :

"Ex gratia (sometimes ex-gratia) is Latin (lit. 'by favour') and is most often used in a legal context. When something has been done ex gratia, it has been done voluntarily, out of kindness or grace. In law, an ex gratia payment is a payment made without the giver recognising any liability or legal obligation"

Having read the above several times, it just so seems there are some key words in the paragraph which don't seem to fit the 'BIG PICTURE', the one we're constantly urged to 'seek'.
First and foremost, 1/2mth's salary or HKD 8,000 (whichever is higher) out of kindness or grace ??? Please !
Secondly, giver not recognising any liability or legal obligation ? Hmmm...sounds a bit too legal to me.. Will we be receiving a letter of contract, requiring a signature before receiving this 'ex-gratia' ?

Let me get this straight, we're NOT getting 13mth but the company is making itself seem like it's doing us a 'favour'.... out of the kindness of their hearts ? Don't know about you.. but right now, I'm melting with that warm fuzzy feeling deep within.

Ex-gratia : Might use that word next time, once reporting sick for duty a mere 20 minutes before sign on