PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 00:41
CaptainJim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hey

I assume you went the modular route which leaves you few options ie low fare airlines, regional airlines or instructing. (All the nice companies want 1500tt with jet or integrated) You probably don't have enough hours for air taxi I assume.

I was in a similar position to you one year ago but now I'm flyin a 737-800 (guess who for?) I had almost 700 hours & most of it in twins and my only hope in the end was to go to "you know who" & give them €30000 for a type rating but it worked.

Now I get €80 per block hour and have nearly 600 hours in a jet.

They are hirin next March but possibly so are Cityjet (but an S instead of a C would suit them better), Flybe & maybe Easyjet.

A CPL with no hours means little as so does a type rating without hours on type. You must have known the industry was like this before you started. Pilots are plentiful especially those with low hours and as for passing all your tests 1st time, congrats Maverick but whatever.

I hope you have a type rating in your budget if not go for instructing & climb up the ranks and you'll eventually get on a kingair or corporate jet.

If you gotta go back to your old job, get your FI rating & instruct on weekends and when the recession blows over you'll be a good position.

Unfortunately for the UK & Eire boys & girls the continenatals won't even look at us, even though it doesn't work the other way round. Such as life.

All the best mate

Last edited by CaptainJim; 19th Nov 2008 at 01:13.