PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this Spannish Airline for real!?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 08:33
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vortex Thing
For many university is where they learn all about life, love and they do it in a conducive environment where they are forced to do things for themselves, many for the first time, whilst having social lives with other young professionals to be.
So is the "real world" if you don't go to university...travelling, working, meeting new people etc etc. Even more so because this way of life isn't enforced at all. If you don't go to university, you could quite easily live at home with your parents and work in the local corner shop 2 minutes from the house and do little else.

The expedition to the Andes, the organizing the trip round Australia in the summer hols, actually this is far far more valuable than the actual subject read.
Yes, it is. What does that have to do with university? If you really have the motivation you can do all of that and more without university!

What would you do if you lost your medical? What is your back up? Is it a disadvantage to have a degree in any job? let's not encourage mediocrity lets encourage the next generation to seek higher standards fro our profession.
Go back into the industry I worked in before, have practical experience in and am good at. Compared with someone who has never worked in that industry and just studied it from a distance...

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying that all of the proposed benefits people seem to suggest are just as applicable to somebody who doesn't go to uni! Of course, the caveat here is the relevant experience to the industry you intend to go in.

I fully appreciate that uni is about far more than education, but so can real life, be! Yes, uni provides you with the platform to go and do these things but people who aren't at uni can do the same or something very similar. Indeed, it can be argued that those that have to go looking for it rather than have it handed it to them on a plate at uni have a superior set of motivational skills...but that's another story