PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - New safety demo vid.....
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 01:07
Domestos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to steer this post slightly off side....

I believe every crew should have a mix of half men and half women. A number of my (non-flying) friends have commented that they often feel a little relieved when they see at least one guy in the crew. This is not a sexist judgement call against female cabin crew....but I think in the minds of passengers, having men on board gives them a little reassurance. Lets set aside the 'sex appeal factor' here and talk from a pure safety/evacuation/emergency point of view. I personally would not feel at ease if I were on a flight as a passenger and it was crewed entirely by young dainty women. Yes I know, women are just as capable as men.....but I would personally like to know if I was unconscious during an evacuation, at least the crew would be strong enough to life me out.

Case in point....Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines crews are always 50-50 split....men and women. The men work in the galleys and the women work in the cabin...exclusively. Where there are two flight attendant seats at a door...there is always a man sitting with a woman.

I don't think I am alone when I say there should be more male crew....I've lost count of how many girls I've flown with who all say that they prefer working with boys....gay or straight....they looooove working where there is predominantly boys. I've asked the boys and even they (gay or straight) prefer working with boys. Its strange isn't it.