PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT's operating into the CTAF
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 09:39
xxgoldxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety starts with YOU, ME & everyone else in the sky, but it's difficult enough to achieve that when I read very troublesome comments like this from another contributor ........... and not get pushy etc and quibble if thier ETA is inaccurate or the radial is wrong... " To think that when I'm in IMC inbound tryig to form an accurate picture of who's where also inbound etc I am expected to believe the above is acceptable, maybe to some pvt pilots but it's not to me!

An ESTIMATE is just that... one that comes from an FMS or advanced GPS with XXXXX approach set up will be accurate to the minute....

if you are "farmer brown" inbound from some station in the middle of no-where in a 172 with no GPS or DME etc and just your watch to go by then you cannot expect the same accuracy...

So "farmer brown" hears all you guys
"inbound on the XXX radial tracking via waypoint XXX for the runway XX RNAV approach estimate waypoint XX at time XX"

He does his best to speak your language and gives a bearing when it should be a radial etc and gets hung for it !!

These guys should be encouraged to speak ENGLISH and say "inbound from timbuktoo maintaining XXX estimate XXX"

If YOU dont know where that is ask...

in general the VFR guy is going to feel a bit intimidated to pipe up and say "mate I have no idea what an RNAV approach is, can you explain where you are "... especially with attitudes like

"Anyway believe what you want I'm not bagging all PVT pilots, on the contrary as I said you can tell the ones that know/care simply by their R/T procedures (their the ones that will give way) it's the 'farmer brown's out there that I/we need eyes in the back of our heads for!

If i ever delevelop a stutter or other speech impediment I will at least remember to give way ok.....!!

Last edited by xxgoldxx; 16th Nov 2008 at 12:17.