PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT's operating into the CTAF
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 23:13
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple thread from a young bloke in Broome cops him loads of gip from some pseudo professionals driving around in bigger aeroplanes at someone else's expense.

CW

I'm fortunate that I have alert crew onboard & they know how dangerous a CTAF can be especially on W/E's with at times numerous
'Farmer Browns" about.
How sanctimonious! Whilst I am sure you are proud of what you do, and maybe you are quite the professional, please don't harp on about flying being dangerous just because other people do it as well.

Big open sky and predominatly good weather are mostly what keeps you safe, not talking down to pvt pilots on PPRUNE (or on the radio for that matter). Exactly how many mid air collisions actually happen out there in those "dangerous 'Farmer Brown" infested CTAFs? In keeping the figure low, all you are doing is playing your part...nothing more. In the grand scheme of things, the pvt bods outnumber you by several magnitudes, their input on keeping things safe is probably more important than yours. You freely admit they usually "give way" to you in the CTAF, maybe it's time you treated them a little better because, by the regs, they probably don't have to.

It really is irrelevant who makes the best or most informative radio calls provided the message gets across, and on that theme you make some good points.

Having said that, seeing or hearing another aeroplane doesn't constitute a dangerous situation so please don't overplay the safety card. In my extensive professional experience, there is plenty of "RPT generated long winded R/T" around in CTAFs which creates at least as much of a hazard as no R/T at all. Maybe everybody should dwell less on their personal anxieties and crack on more with trying to get it right.

Last edited by DBTW; 16th Nov 2008 at 07:19.