PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nightmare on second solo
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 14:17
snapper1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio use by glider pilots

As a glider pilot myself I was dissmayed to read the AAIB report re the actions of the glider pilot.

Some observations.
He (the glider pilot) planned to fly the task, Pocklington -Elvington-Full Sutton-Pocklington. He was therefore planning to fly over the stub of Church Fenton MATZ and then Full Sutton ATZ. Basic common sense says that if you are using active airfields as turnpoints you must anticipate that you may have to land at them.

Reference to his half mil map would have given him both radio frequencies, either in the air or before he set off. Although not mandatory, it would have been sensible to call Church Fenton to say he was over their MATZ or to request a MATZ penetration (it was a Wednesday so he could expect them to be flying).

If on the very edge of Full Sutton ATZ he should have been at 2,000 ft at least, otherwise he is about to enter it.

'Massive sink' might be experienced for a time then followed by some lift (it was the 4th of June so it seems unlikely he had flown into the lee side of mountain wave when east of York). Therefore if the sink he flew into caused him to land immediately perhaps he was already near circuit height. If so, and he chose FS he was probably well into their ATZ.

Earlier post have highlighted the fact that glider pilots dont have the same RT training as power pilots until going cross/country. My experience is that we dont get it even then. I had to take the RT course at Leeds/Bradford in order get my RT operators licence as no-one at my club thought it necessary. I found the 'practical' part of the test very difficult, after all we dont get the same exposure to even just hearing RT transmitions as power pilots do. But it was well worth it. I wouldn't dream of not calling a gliding site for runway-in-use let alone an aerodrome. I would like to see RT procedure included in glider training before any pilot is cleared by his CFI to fly solo cross country.

One final point. I know the CFI at The Wolds Gliding Club at Pock and have huge respect for him. I'm sure the pilot got a very thorough debrief.