PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowboys in the Sky! (ref:recent accident-series)
Old 15th Nov 2008, 01:28
Der absolute Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you unstable load - a generous statement for me which I will not deny.
As for you Hot Shots -Language has a hell of a lot to do with accidents - reference as a minimum example the Teneriffe/KLM. So please do not be so simple as to ask such a question as what has language got to do with accidents. I agree language do not make a good pilot but a pilot may be a safer pilot in proportion to his fluency in English-especially in the very rapid changing state of aviation today.

To teach the attitudes and outlooks of safe aviation is a complex task and it needs language comprehension of a near colloquial level.
If there is an Afrikaans speaking instructor and an English speaking student then it is very difficult for complete and colloquial cockpit communication - and the other way around too?
Perhaps this is not the case but I have found no instructors with English as their first language who are completely proficient in Afrikaans and no Afrikaans instructors who are completely fluent in English-but the level of English of the Afrikaans instructors is better than the level of Afrikaans of the English instructors.

The best thing that perhaps can be happening is for the CAA to make a massive public campaign to make very public the accisents that have happened and to make other pilots think and plan before they attempt that for which they are not qualified.