PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT's operating into the CTAF
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 00:26
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While we're on this topic, one of the radio calls which frustrate me greatly are the ones on CTAF of "ABC is established in the XYZ hold, will be outbound in 1 min." What does a VFR driver in the same area get out of that call???

You haven't told me your altitude, and I'm sure when you go outbound you'll only say "is outbound," no mention of On Descent, or altitude leaving/going to! All I know is that somewhere near XYZ navaid, someone is doing some sort of flying at an unknown altitude

Usually the perpetrators are BE76s or similar doing IFR training.

But how about instead of "entering the hold" say something along the lines of a standard 10 nm/8min inbound call, then when you're overhead the aid say "Holding over XYZ VOR at ___ feet", and instead of outbound/inbound say something along the lines of "Tracking to the South East on descent, will then be tracking inbound from 5nm, descending to ____ feet"

Now I know where you are, and I don't need to approach plate to know what you're going to do. And I don't have a heart attack when you blast into the circuit at the minimas. Remember not everone on CTAF is an IFR aircraft.