PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT's operating into the CTAF
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 22:21
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the meantime, as I'm also listening to Centre and know you're coming, I'll give anybody that needs to know a headsup on your later arrival.
Inbound to AYQ from PER yesterday (14 Nov) and monitoring CTAFR, and the QF flight out of AYQ had obviously missed some of our inbound details as passed by Centre. When QF asked the AYQ CAGRO, his answer was something along the lines of "he hasn't called up yet but is probably inbound from PER and if so should call soon".

Obviously the CAGRO wasn't listening to Centre.

I hope not. AIP requires a call to be made BEFORE FL180 (in the Broome case [and other places too]).
Too many of us think we're the only ones about, as proven by a call at F180 when moving into Class G. Doesn't give much time to acquire the VFR dude at FL175. Similarly, calls like "ABC left FL340", when the freq is known to cover low level areas, isn't much help for any one other than Centre, and they know you're not going to hit them.

And while on my hobby horse, "Traffic AYQ ABC tracking for 5 mile final RWY 31". Great, but where from?