PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MACC move worries
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 22:01
Krait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil The Point

The Point seems to be being missed a little, This thread started with a very sensible and important point and has slowly fallen into the pit of 'have a whine at each other'.

The controllers at Manchester are upset and quite rightly so. The move is not a 70 mile trip within the same country. It will be a huge upheavel for a vast majority of the people who actually go. I am not Scotland bashing here, just pointing out the facts as I see them and hear of them.

Apart from the distance and the family and friends that are left behind there are many other issues. It is obviously a really bad time to move house. Now this isnt NATS doing (I dont think). But the equity which has vanished or the negative equity WILL prevent moving house. Finding a mortgage at 90% is lucky. That deposit for many people doesnt exist.

There are many other-halfs who are worried about moving their careers. Legal/Teaching/Medical qualifications/training arent 100% transferable.

To make these things a little earlier you would think that NATS could have actually handed out some posting notices. A move date - no chance. A move month - maybe Jan. A move year - surley some point in 2010. How are families/couples/singles supposed to plan for the future and all the difficulties when we have no idea when we are going. NATS 'o-date' history is at best poor.

Those of you who moved to Swanwick must know this better than most. But your move (although I am sure had many difficulties) was a better option than those Mancunians who are being asked to move to a totally different environment that is not commutable and not keeping friends/family within sensible (M3) range.

So it is no wonder that so many people are looking for the exit. They arent leaving in their droves right now but why should they. Who knows when we are leaving and why leave the job/salary they enjoy before they really have to. However, there will be considerable numbers not going North. This will make life for those going potentially more hard work. Short numbered, short of morale and trying to settle families into entirely new surroundings.

I am still hoping things will get better but....