PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 12th Nov 2008, 21:07
phrixus29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonic69:

However, if after pursuing aviation abroad for some time, SQ were to offer an FO position, how many of those FIs/charter pilots/bush pilots/aerial bombers would turn it down?

If SQ does offer an FO position,nobody in the right frame of mind will turn that offer down,unless they are comfortable with the flying they are doing at the moment the offer pops up but then again,we as self sponsored individuals should never wait for such offers..If it turns out good,I'll take the offer for sure unless I am better off at the place I am,for example if I were to be a Chief Pilot of a small charter company and racking in a good salary with great management,I don't see why I should leave but all in all getting an offer with SQ is just a little bonus,no biggie seriously...If I had the guts to self sponsor myself,I should have better known my direction before I even plunged into it,which till to date,no regrets..as long as it gets me flying,thats all that matters at the end of the day..I don't need to be flying with engines having 70,000 lbs of thrust down the ILS glideslope every other day..

Thermal Image:

These 3 facts show that most self sponsored pilots do it to join SQ. If cannot get into SQ, then don't fly at all. Investment written off. They just don't go away to remain outside forever and ever.
Well with your 3 facts,I will think those self sponsored pilots just plunged..I am not here to speak for them but yes,I personally think they have simply shot themselves in the foot in an instant if they never had the big picture in mind but narrowed the whole industry to Singapore and to be in Singapore only..

For those who got into SQ, they did the right thing, get qualified and join SQ ASAP (some were jobless up to 3 years since they completed Massey or whatever).

For those who got into SQ did the right thing??Are we a bunch standing down here who didnt do the right thing just because Mr.XYZ rejects the application...I guess we all tried to do the right thing and we know that, that would get us riding a smooth wave,but unfortunately,I hope you understand that things don't always fall in place the way we wish for it to be..

Because any smart self sponsored pilot is simply not going to linger outside SG just to collect hours.

I have been doing this for a while and am enjoying my journey..Are you questioning my decision or my intelligence with your above statement??I just hope not..

The odds are simply stacked way way way against you - wrong colour, no right to work (unless you are crafty), and finally, others who have already had a headstart, age for age.

True enough...but still worth a try at the end of the day...

Better than hoping to get into SQ after flight training as you mentioned about some self sponsored individuals whom you say have become cab drivers and the blah and thats something I never did and I really hope you understand that smart people have to work outside than in Singapore if you are self sponsored,unless you get lucky and you get the ticket on to one of the Singapore based airlines, which is rather slim..