PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Starter - Bristol Aviation??
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 09:13
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say (and this is only my opinion) that if you have the cash and no work/family commitments then integrated is an option, however you will still be maintaining your ratings until you find work. This isnt just about keeping legal its about being current and fresh to pass a sim check.

However as i said before the hour building is an important part of the training and some integrated schools tend to treat it as an obstacle to be overcome as cheaply and quickly as possible. This can mean doing the hours in one type of aircraft from one location which to be honest, would get pretty boring and defeats the object of the hour building portion of the training.

The thing i find hard to understand is peoples impatience to get this done. I would have thought that people who want to work as a pilot would have a love of flying. The hour building is the time where you can really enjoy the flying. Shares can be picked up cheaply and the club atmosphere is a big change from the average FTO.

One aspect that is very overlooked is the networking opportunities. Lots of airline/freight/bizjet pilots and management can be found around many of the flying clubs. Many people have been given opportunities due to connections and friendships made at the flying club. You will also hear about many other channels that may be open to you. The commercial flying world does not revolve around Pprune.

My advice would be to fly a few different types, get a tailwheel conversion, get yourself down into Europe (If you get a share you will get used to going over to France for lunch) maybe do some aerobatics. Whatever you do dont stick to one type of flying. The hour building is about turning you into an experienced pilot. Imaging passing your driving test and only driving round the same village for days on end.

If the airlines were recruiting like mad then you might want to get your IR/MCC etc done now but at this time i would advise against it. In the same time and less money than it would take to do an integrated course you could have a CPL IMC ME Maybe even an IR and be logging instrument & twin time on flights into Europe. This is the kind of thing that looks good on the CV. This could all be done whilst working and earning.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it