PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wx aviodance.
Thread: Wx aviodance.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2002, 23:15
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completely wrong 411A. I'm very much in the category of continue if at all possible, avoid if convenient to ATC. The latter is for comfort, the former for safety. Unlike you I do not have blind faith that the cabin and its contents are completely secure. Flying into a CB invites all manner of things to get airborne, from the floors and the overhead lockers, which could injure a person. It also raises a number of technical risks beyond the obvious rain and hail damage. The airframe probably won't break up, but severe turbulence can and does lead to airframe overspeeds and angle of attack protection being activated. Both of these events will cause the autopilot to drop out in my type. In a busy terminal area this could lead to highly dangerous altitude busts, particularly as vertical seperation is significantly less in real distance terms than lateral seperation. These sort of events are likely to leave the crew with little or no spare capacity to respond to ATC instructions, exacerbating the situation further still. In the rare instances of extreme weather in the UK I'd much sooner have a controlled unauthorised departure from ATC clearance than an uncontrolled and unexpected one. If that messes up the approach sequencing then I'm really sorry, but it's going to cause less disruption than an unauthorised departure followed by a medical emergency because someones now wearing their wheelie bag as a hat and the stewardess broke a leg.