PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 11th Nov 2008, 18:07
phrixus29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most self-sponsored pilots or self-sponsored pilot wannabes already understand the main gist to the tale that its not going to be easy to get into a Singapore based airline after completion and I also believe from the ongoing discussions that alot of self-sponsored pilots like myself don't see the Big Irons of Singapore as their goal...If they do,then I guess I have nothing to say,cos I don't...

But a self-sponsored pilot has to definitely be more realistic in their approach to the flying career and even if it means flying a single engine aircraft all their life,they have to be satisfied,so why do I keep reading the few options listed out and if none of the options can be met,then flying is not for them???

As a professional,what advice could you give your juniors?Or you simply diss them and tell them if you don't meet the criteria,out you go??...I have got an uncle,a senior pilot with SQ and he has never once drowned my dreams of becoming a pilot but instead,he told me what to do and I think this thread has gone way off topic and instead of assisting and guiding,its come to a point where this thread has lost its essence of showing some light to individuals who want to pursue the flying career....

So that begs the question if you are thinking of being a self-sponsored wannabe - what makes you think that after 10 years and 7,000 hours overseas you will now be (more) attractive to SIA? That is if you can even get the hours in the first place.

Why do we keep coming back to the same old topic of SQ again..with 7000 hours,why assume that some self sponsored individual would want to come back to SQ?

If you are self sponsored,your life is outside of Singapore.Period.

I guess everyone knows the industry in Singapore,how controlled it can be and with that kind of experience as stated above,I am sure,that pilot could be making it great elsewhere,even if it means being a career flight instructor...Perhaps some of you have not gone down the roads of our path and should not comment much and with the SQ guys in the picture,you guys no nothing about the roads we take to fullfill those desires..

I will only give credits to the pointers about the truths with regards to the industry in Singapore..We all know that its true that if you make it into the Cadet Program,you make it,but that doesn't mean that your journey towards being a pilot ends right there, which has been implied that "you are not meant to be"...

There are multiple routes and I will second my words on that and as much as its not going to be easy,its achievable,perhaps some pple are just thinking too much abt being part of the SQ family which I think as a self sponsored candidate,you got to take the words "S" and "Q" outta the picture totally...

And i think this thread is more to encourage individuals who have fallen short on getting hired by the national flag carrier or individuals trying to take a different path and not to state the obvious...I guess we all got the picture a long time ago..