PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does flying (ATC) + listening to music work?
Old 11th Nov 2008, 16:57
Nightfire

Of course you can listen to music in a car while driving! That's why they have radios in them as standard fit (even German cars!).
Since when can't you listen to music in a car??
Yesterday 21:34
Would you clever guys read my post properly, before writing stupid answers?
I was asking rhetorically if people would also listen to their ipods while driving. Assuming that you understand what I meant (the point was, listening to music with headsets, thus locking out all other noise and reducing your concentration).

Nugpot, I wanted to point out that it's not about being an SOP-fetishist; you might also add that reading an aviation-magazine is flight-related and therefore in line with flight deck policies. Don't be ridiculous. The SOPs usually also say somewhere that they can not replace good judgement and common sense.

Listening to music inside the cockpit is dangerous and inacceptable for a professional company. In terms of "bending" the procedures, it is definitely going too far.
Go ahead and do so, if you like, but be ready to have a clever explanation when you get called to the office. I'm sure your Fleet Chief would tell you the same.