PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wx aviodance.
Thread: Wx aviodance.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2002, 18:41
Oliver James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WF
I can recall about half a dozen incidents which TCAS has caused. It would be most unwise to rely on it for this purpose and if we have got to the point where we have to rely on it then we have got way past the point where safety is being compromised to move more traffic. That is something we keep telling the public we will never do.

Yesterday I had two Heavies running into OCK 5 miles apart, 1000' separated. The first asked to go right for wx and deviated by about 2 miles. The second went straight "through" what ever the first avoided. There was only 15kts of wind , so any wx wouldn't have moved 2 miles in 1 minute. I asked if it was to avoid CB activity (none being reported by Met.) and he said yes, tops about FL100. I thought CBs went much higher than that or have I got something wrong there? Topping out at that level, was this not a towering CU, and far less significant in terms of wx? The point I have been making is that many a/c are deviating for comfort rather than safety and it is draining our capacity.

Pegasus 77
If you wouldn't avoid when we have said no due traffic then you are saying that the traffic confliction rates higher than the wx danger. In that case why are so many people prepared to deviate without being sure that there is no traffic in the way first?

Several things need to be done if this issue is to be resolved:
1. Provide NATS ATCOs with wx radar so that we can see your needs.
2. If we wish to retain our capacity, crews must only request for safety, not comfort.
3. R/t loadings must be reduced. At Heathrow this can be achieved by Mixed mode and a second Final Director.

This is a safety issue and it has to come before politics.

Point 4