PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-Reg Confusion
Thread: N-Reg Confusion
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2008, 16:55
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the story if you were say a resident of the Channel Islands?
Based on the current proposal, you will be ok. ICAO does allow a member state to ban its own citizens from exercising the privileges of a foreign license (in its own airspace) but EASA cannot stop "foreigners" flying into Europe.

However, if they did impose the long term parking ban (like e.g. the aborted UK proposal) that would catch you out too. After say 90 days, you would have to unscrew the wings and cart your plane out of the EU on the back of a trailer (and no, I don't think it would work, either!)

EASA's objective is the ever so laudable European superior-intellectual one whereby they want to obtain a reciprocal treaty with every other country in the world, covering mutual license recognition. Trying to argue with that is a bit like telling Bob Geldof to not run those highly effective pop concerts to abolish worldwide poverty. EASA might achieve this, or might not, or there will be some kind of compromise. I don't think we will know for 2-3 years. Obviously what really matters is whether they will get such a treaty with the USA (the Belgian Congo is less important in this case) and I don't think they will get one with the USA.

Richard - I sent you an email via the pprune email facility.

It seems easier to do the JAA-IR and then simply go to the states, do a couple of days flight training to earn a standalone FAA PPL-IR and then come back and be completely covered for both N and G anywhere in the world.
That would cover all the bases, but I wouldn't call it "easy". 7 exams (PPL/IR) but there is a strategy which has been done: revise like hell for a week from the published question banks, sit all 7 exams over a day or two, then revise properly for those which you failed. It probably won't work for you if you know nothing about IFR but somebody who has been flying IFR and knows the stuff already, should probably pass half of them.

You also have to do 50 (55 if ME) hrs dual flight training, with an IR school, which will be far from cheap.

This is why, for those who are happy to bet on EASA not screwing everybody, and who have an N-reg plane already or can get one, and who have the IMC Rating, the FAA IR is a very good middle step which gives you instant worldwide IFR privileges and the way you can do it at any of many schools in the USA makes it quite easy to slot into your life. But make sure the N-reg plane hasn't got anything in it which would be a nightmare to put on an EU register.

In fact if you want an absolutely watertight guarantee of always being able to fly everywhere in Europe, IFR, in anything that flies, do the JAA CPL/IR. It's only 14 exams