PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways turned me down?????
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2008, 03:17
NGFellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The expat pilot has become a "scapegoat" for the airlines to deflect from much deeper issues. As I mentioned earlier, as John the Baptist (voice in the wilderness), every single expat in India should have their options explored. Some did not quite believe me when I said so a week or so ago.
I am not an expat hater, wishing to get rid of an expat. I am an EXPAT!
I have been here coming up on 3 years and so I am not a newbie. I have been flying airplanes for 31 years. My post was meant as advise for those expats in the field.

Majority of the airlines here are in deep, deep trouble and they are in denial even now. They are very much behind the power curve, and I would say many are in the "region of reversed command" and will not be able to survive without a significant cash infusion or bail out package from the government. For anyone to suggest that the removal of the expat pilot will end their woes, they have another thing coming. Airlines have started to default on leases (KF), hotel bills are overdue, and parts are in short supply. A buddy of mine at Spicejet told me they didn't have any main wheel tires for the B737-800 last week, grounding two airplanes and thus affecting 17 flights or more. Ofcourse it was blamed on customs. He also told me that their expat CP has left, and although they have a new CEO no one has heard a word from him about anything. From the article above, it seems like even Spicejet airlines is going to axe their expats in 2009. Jet has already started (more layoffs coming) and KF will also do the same.

While the airlines want to phase out expats, here is what is going to happen. The "Quit India" movement has begun involuntarily due to the airlines actions. Instead of 12-18 months from now, what if the 900 expat pilots or a majority leave within 90-180 days? Anyone who interviews in Nov/Dec (if hired) can expect to start no later than March 2009. They are mucho jobs out there, even for the age 60 plus guys. As someone said earlier, it's a double edged sword. There will be some severe shortcomings in rostering and manning of flights.

With all expats pilots leaving eventually the Indians will have a free reign (they should, its their turf). But the airlines will then reduce terms and conditions. No more F/O's making 2 lakhs a month. Try a 30-50% paycut instead. Same goes for the Capts. They will have to take cuts as well.
They won't be able to compare their salaries to expats as a valid arguement, b/c we won't be here. Many will try to leave, but by then expats will have filled up many of the slots overseas as well. The early bird gets the worm.

Last edited by NGFellow; 8th Nov 2008 at 03:45.