PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Eagle DC-6
Thread: LHR Eagle DC-6
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 09:52
1970s Spotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norm'
Regarding the possibility of the '6 going u/s on one of the 27s is a possibility of course. But statisticly any aircraft could end up in that situation, it should not be a reason for stopping an aircraft from arriving.

As to confining aircraft of a certain age (who defines that?) to air-shows only, I don't buy this. Obviously the BAA didn't either as they did originally give the DC6 permission to use LHR. I suppose we could segregate aircraft by type and age... while we are at it we could stop pensioners being out in daylight hours as they tend to slow down movement in the high-streets/supermarkets/Post Office. And let's stop vintage cars from using main roads, makes sence.
This flight was going to be a one-off so the disruption, such as it might have been, would have been minimal - about the same as the occasional slow moving vehicle on the M1. They can be a bit of a pain in the b*m but life goes on!

My thought as to why the flight was canx. is that someone at the BAA suddenly reaslised that the DC6 is an old aircraft with those spinney things on the wings, and panicked.

Anyway it's happened now.

PS Wonder what would have happened if there had been an airworthy Viscount, and BA wanted to have a party and bring it into LHR? (Scrap the party, no free cash available)