PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Career prospection update
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 08:20
MR8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates Career prospection update

Gentlemen, Ladies,

Just as I was reading through the tempo accommodation presentation our beloved leader Mr. Ed gave to our less fortunate colleagues who are living in areas unheard of by most Dubai residents, I noticed a little remark that made me feel sorry even more for these poor lads.

Incoming pilot classes – numbers reduced in FY 2009/10
Expecting to hire approximately 150 new joiners in FY 2009/10

As far as I'm concerned, this means that there will only be about 75 'new' Captain slots available for next financial year. This combined with the financial turmoil in the real world, meaning that most people with plans of leaving the company soon won't do so anymore in the current economic situation, means that actually, that will be it, 75 captain slots for a whole year.

I know that this sounds like a great number for people who are not flying for EK, since most companies are scaling down, but for the guys here, it will be a huge disappointment... Don't forget that in order to come to Emirates, you must have a certain level of experience, so don't compare this career with other companies where you can get in with no jet time etc...

Anyway, after having a quick look at the seniority list, I came up with following conclusion:

In the BEST case, your fleet will upgrade about 75 people as from today until end of Financial Year 2010 (31 March 2010). For both fleets, this means that in the BEST case scenario, by April 2010, upgrade time will be 4.5 years.

Also, today there are about 550 FO's on the A330/A340 and 610 on the B777. I don't even want to start calculating when a new joiner today will have his shot at a command in EK, but my guess is that it will be close to 7 years at least.

Just my thoughts.

MR8