PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 7th Nov 2008, 07:05
spinnaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dublin_eire

The thinking of MOL could be absolutely correct. I read somewhere, that Ryanair have about £1b cash reserve. He can, or is using that reserve to capture market share and push competitors out of business. BA have reported a massive drop in profit by over 90%. The trick that MOL needs to pull off, is capture enough market share before the cash reserve runs out. Remember that the increased traffic loads on Ryanair is not new business, but rather someone else's business. That cash reserve does not have to last the whole time of the depression either, just long enough to kill off the competition, that's all. If I were MOL, (and everyone is glad I'm not) I would be planning beyond winter, I would be making sure my airline could inflict fatal wounds to my competitors during the honey season, SUMMER. I would also be operating at a greatly reduced rate from a number of airports, because Ryanair will be the only airline of significance operating.

I don't see anything to celebrate in the upbeat figures that Ryanair publish, because they just reflect the dire mess that the rest of the industry is in.

If MOL is correct, and his plan works, Then we are about to see low cost air travel take on a whole new meaning. If or when they recruit the salary will amount to dole money + 5%.