PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Military Capability.....
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 07:02
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wannbabe,

The CIA World Facts Book will give you military spending and also its military manpower potential. This is good for comparative analysis.

The other essential document to track down is The Military Balance Taylor & Francis Journals: Welcome that you might find in the library.

The views so far would seem to suggest that state sovereignty is the issue and many would not wish to serve in a supranational, super state capacity.

Others that in some form it already exists.

What I was suggesting is that surrender of sovereignty, ie the US Civil War or of the United Kingdom or the creation of a Greater Russia or even a Greater Germany, were necessary for the creation of a single unified military force.

Would this happen in Europe?

The Norwegian view is that they have been a satellite of Sweden for centuries and only recently independent; they do not want to cede independence so soon. Look at Poland and other eastern European States. They are still savouring self-rule albeit within an EU structure.

Turkey is a modern country, less than 100 years old. The question of its accession is really a whole diferent subject. One question and I don't really know the answer, is why is Turkey in NATO?

Turkey was also a CENTO power. My guess is that it was to ensure that the Bosophorus, the Aegean and Black Seas all fell in one strategic treaty area. There may have been a sub-text but I will leave that to others to aduce.