PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Military Capability.....
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2008, 22:15
wannabe87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hinecap-yes it would be above state level ie that of a supranational one. Would almost be a branch off of the EU- so if a member state wants in then it would have to follow whatever the EU lays down in the interests of Europe not that of an individual state.
As is seen now the larger members today have the most voting seats when it comes to making decisions so ineffect they get what they anyway because they have the largest voting/vetoing power.. a Good or a bad thing?

hmmm to throw a spanner in the works im currently preparing a presentation for tomorrow on why Turkey should/should not become a member of the EU. Interesting to note that should Turkey be accepted it would then make it the 2nd (i think?) largest voting power- so a big potential decision maker, and from the reading ive done no one seems to be particularly keen on this given that it has many internal issues aswell as the fact that many argue it belongs with the Middle Eastern states. Although i came across that someone argued that on the plus side it had a large (ish) army to bring to the table as it were? not too sure on that one though!

i dont know the concept of European Military Capability on first look seems like a good thing but there just seems to be so many problems and objectives that need to be overcome- and arguably is there any point? Plus how many member states are we on now-25? it just simply isnt practical to combine the interests/budgets/forces you name it into one European force....