PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Military Capability.....
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2008, 16:53
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe87
Interesting thesis. What university?
Will it ever happen?
Probably, the equestion is when. I know we have the ARRC, STANFORLANT and STANFORMED etc but these are not quite the same thing you are getting at.

I suspect you are wondering if we would have unified forces such as those in the United States or former United Republic.

Would you be happy to serve as part of a European Army/Forces?
Probably again.

Look at the model of the British Army. It started as individual regiments with their own distinctive uniforms and formed into cohesive armies. Their disparate origins and resistance to change may be seen in the variety of cap badges that still exist.

Look at the armies of the United States. These were also individual militia and the national guard, in reality state units, and retain their individual identies although they are organised along the same lines as the national army and fight along side them.

Would you see similar distingusihed national regiments in Europe less keen on retaining their identities? The Foreign Legion for instance.

In my opinion the scale would be in decades if not centuries.

PS, to add that Air Forces are different. Many European countries formed squadrons in Britain during the second world war. Many of these retained the squadron numbers allocated by the Air Ministry and wear similar uniforms and rank badges to those of the RAF. Look at Danes, Dutch and Belgique for a start.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 7th Nov 2008 at 06:41.