PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowboys in the Sky! (ref:recent accident-series)
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 13:41
Jamex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the remark made about Scully flying the B742 out of Rand was a bit unfair. I seem to recall it was Dennis Spence who landed the a/c at Rand and not Scully. The flight and landing was conducted by an all-SAA crew after a lot of planning and also done on SAA's insurance who must've been happy it was safe to do otherwise they would not have insured the a/c for this particular flight. I have met Scully and spoken with him quite a few times and he always came across as a first-rate gentleman with a passion for flying second to none. I think it is very harsh and unfair to vilify said gentleman on a public forum and not at all what one would expect from a professional pilot. We pilots are all on the same side (or should be) and we should be singing off the same hymn sheet and looking out for one another. Go read "We band of brothers" by Ernest Gann to see what I mean and dont let envy of a truly professional pilot eat you up.