PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 21:32
ChrisLKKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My main point although probably not entirely clear was there are cheaper and safer ways to earn a good crust with better job security, particularly in todays climate.

I think a lot of guys get carried away with the romanticism of airline flying which didn't matter quite so much 10 or 20+ years ago when it didn't cost so much to train, airline jobs were more secure and there weren't the oppotunites to earn big money in other fields.

The situation is different now, never has it been so bad for wanabee pilots with extortionate trainning costs, poor job prospects and poor job security. This could well be the turning point in the market for self funded pilot recruitment and we may well start to see a change in the way pilots are recruited in years to come with the MPL or something similar featuring quite heavily.

IMO One possible scenario could be, once this current wave of dreamers pass through the mincer with few if any getting jobs it may make the next few generations of wannabees think harder about their options, assuming the situation hasn't improved (and I think that's unlikely for some time).

Eventually it may reach the point where there are insuffient fatplers to satisfy demand and the airlines may decide to take a more active part in pilot trainning in order to meet their needs.