PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 20:40
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really worry about the long-term future of Ba, for this reason. They have announced capacity cuts before and it is rumoured in a previous post and in the press again today, that more cuts are to be announced, especially at Lgw.

I am fully aware that there are tough economic conditions at the moment, but when do you stop cutting? When do you discover that you have cut too much, too often and there is no way back? It is not the first time that a business decided to make cuts as the answer, only to find that there was no way back.

A few years ago, Ba had a good network out of Lgw and by all acccounts, transfer traffic was really starting to grow. But Ba never really supported Lgw, if you looked at timetables, for example, they were much more likely to promote Lhr than Lgw, where there was the facility to use either. Now they are taking the axe to Lgw big time, but Easy seem to find it ok. Additionally, they are now finding more competion in their own back yard at Lhr in the form of open skies and Lh.

At what point will they decide that cuts are no longer viable and that they must correct the model? The unions can protest all they want, but in the end, if Ba are not able to reverse the trend of cutting all the time, then all will end up without jobs.

And how come LH are not having all these problems, they are not cutting, to the best of my knowledge.

True Blue