PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowboys in the Sky! (ref:recent accident-series)
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 11:58
weido_salt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in SA for 12 months over 20 years ago, working for a SA company flying SA req aircraft.

The thing that struck me during my time down there was a lot of pilots were damned cowboys. Beat ups seemed the norm and a lot of unauthorized low flying was witnessed. Lack of self discipline and poor airman-ship, seems to be the root of the problem, they seemed to be having THEN and it seems it has not improved, judging by the accident rate. IMHO. "Aggressive flying" has no place in civil aviation, therefore best it remains with the military.

Operational low flying can only be carried with any degree of safety, only after hours of training, practise and be current!

They published this paper with the results of an enquiry back then and new rules were implemented. Still hasn't had any impact on the accident rate.

Until people who get licenses, realize that aircraft, as with all motor vehicles are lethal if you fool about in them, the accident rate will remain high. It may take a generation for it to improve. It is the impromptu display that will take out people and their innocent passengers as much as anything else. Resist that temptation!

In my view airshows should not be banned, as most displays are carried out by competent pilots after hours of practise and who are current and remain so.

If any pilot needs to get his/her rocks off, and play the fool in an aircraft do this and you may survive. 1/ get someone to show you how to do a bet up properly. 2/ Then, if you haven't got it out of your system do it miles away from anywhere on your own. If you screw it up at least you wont have taken out an innocent passenger or bystander with you. You of course will not have an audience, so not really worth it, is it?

Yes I have made mistakes throughout my career, so learn from others as you will not live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself. I started learning 40 years ago. You will notice I said started learning because I still am learning. We learn from our mistakes.

I think it is a good thing for instructors to take their students to see the aircraft that have been involved in fatal accidents. It ain't a pretty sight believe me and it if makes just one student think twice before doing something stupid, it is worth while.

Last edited by weido_salt; 3rd Nov 2008 at 04:29.