PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cowboys in the Sky! (ref:recent accident-series)
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 09:46
308GT4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you going to name people, one should be a bit more specific, I believe.
I would imagine that an empty 747 or 340, with minimal fuel on board is rather light. So, if it lost TWO engines simultaneously on the same wing, it very likely is not un-flyable, even at 2000' a.g.l.
Secondly, have a look at mentioned Skygod at the next air show. He is about the only aerobatic pilot doing a display who, if a wing sheared off at any given time, the wreckage would NOT land in the crowd, alla Ramschtein style. I am NO defender of the Skygods, but we should not use names here.

Back to the male ego. Yes, very very much the problem at hand with most of the accidents of late, I imagine/surmise, from my armchair sitting at home on the ground.
If you read "The naked pilot" you will see that (surprisingly) at the end of his book, he says that he has not even touched on the devil of "the male ego" in aviation safety.
I HASTEN to add: NOT just the male ego, but both male AND female egos of lately. 1980's onwards. [see S.Trenchpath etc etc]